Logans Port Indiana History
The "Trail of Death," as it was called, was not one of the shining moments in Indiana history. On July 4, 1843, the grand opening was celebrated in the town of Logans, Indiana, south of Fort Wayne. The city was the terminus for Pennsylvania Railroad trains that ran from Chicago to Cincinnati northwest - southeast. As soon as the railway was opened to business, many people, especially those who had to make the long journey on the dirt road, found their way to Port Port Indiana.
When the railroad reached Logansport in the late 1990s, it was no longer profitable for steamships to travel on the Texas side of the Santa Fe River, and they had to travel back and forth between Loganport and Orange, Texas. Until 1889, travelers with goods from Logosport could reach Port Indiana, a town of about 1,500 inhabitants, and there is a train station at the southern end. On the Louisiana side, another railroad is being built, but it is still a long way from Fort Wayne, Indiana.
On the way back to Indianapolis, General John Tipton was appointed head of the relocation operations and William Polke of Rochester, Indiana, was appointed federal conductor. In the early 1820s he was responsible for the stopover at Logansport on the way to Fort Wayne. But until his power ran out, he turned to emigration and appointed WilliamPolke of Rochester, Indiana, as the federal conductor. Around 1850, they were on the outskirts of what was then - and future - Walkerton and were busy building an old stagecoach road that led from Loganport to Michigan City.
The Wabash River and the Eel River merged at Logansport, making it possible only a bit further west. In the mid-19th century, the aqueduct played an important role in crossing the Eel River on its route from Toledo to Evansville. The canal opened Loganport for trade and all points along the canal were shipped in and out to the farmers whose produce covered the north - central India.
The white settlers of Indiana forgot to use their presence in the community because the Indians were completely calm and peaceful and had nothing to do with the Black Hawk War, which had been caused by the expulsion of the Potawatomia from their ancestral lands. The hatred that the Indian settlers had for the Indians was so great that they forcibly expelled them from Indiana in the summer of 1838.
Today, the Petits Bridge is one of the oldest bridges in the city of Logans Port, Indiana, and it is in a decent condition around the bend. The railway line has abandoned the bridge and an asphalt road that covers half a mile of it. In 1968 or earlier, many owners had given it up, but it is still there and in good condition.
A treaty signed in October 1826 opened large parts of the north - the central part of Indiana - to settlement and marked the beginning of the end of the Indiana tribes. In fact, the Indians claimed and occupied the entire county, with a strip of land being assigned to Michigan Road, stretching south from the north of the county to Plymouth in the south and north of Plymouth. Hundreds of Potawatomi who did not want to leave Indiana moved to Logans Port, a village that grew from 4 wig huts in 1821 to over 100 wig huts in 1838. The assignment of their reserve was secured by the signing of a treaty with the US government on 26 October 1827.
The dam on the Wabash River near Delphi began in Carroll County in 1838 and was completed in Logan's Port in the summer of 1839, just a few months after the treaty was signed. It is often referred to as the Great Dam, because engineers declared it the largest dam in Indiana, if not the entire West. Tipton was once here, leading Michigan Road and the WabASH (Erie Canal) through the county.
The Wabash (Erie) The canal reached Logansport in 1839, contributing to its name as Logan's Harbour, and it was reopened in the late 19th century. The Wabsash (Erie) Canal reached the port of Logan, which gave the port its name, in 2018.
The Wabash (Erie) Canal reached Logansport in 1839, contributing to its name as Logan's Harbour. The two-lane Pennsylvania Panhandle RR drove through the city and reached the Wabsash River shortly after Loganport. Later it became known as Vandalia (1916) and was taken over by the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1921.
The main entrance of Memorial Hospital was moved to the north side, with a Y-shaped structure located on Michigan Avenue on the east side. Cass County Hospital took in the first patients in 1884, while efforts to build a new hospital in Logansport began with the appointment of Dr. David E. Davenport as the hospital's first director. The name of the hospital was changed from Northern Indiana Hospital for the Insane to Loganport State Hospital by an act of Indiana State Legislature in 1927. This led to the prison being renamed Indiana State Correctional Institution in 1979, a state prison for prisoners of war in Indiana.